I discovered Sephora about 4 years ago, when I first moved to Chicago. I had always loved experimenting with makeup but back in the Philippines, it was difficult to find products that worked for my skin tone. Foundations and concealers were always several shades too light, skincare products were usually geared towards whitening, and the right nude lipsticks were nearly impossible to find.
Sephora was the first makeup store I encountered in Chicago that had products that matched my skin tone perfectly. For the first time, I had options for my brown skin and I didn't have to worry about mixing shades or settling for an entirely wrong one. Sephora quickly became my favorite makeup store and my go-to when I'm looking for high quality makeup.
When I walked into Sephora last week, I was determined to find products to wear on my wedding day. They had to be long-lasting, full coverage, photo-ready, smudge-proof, tear-proof, AND kiss-proof. Here are the products that I found and how they held up.
Boscia Porefecting White Charcoal Mattifying Treatment Primer ($38)
I discovered this primer when I asked a beauty consultant at Sephora for a primer that would work for my incredibly oily skin. She gave me a small sample of this primer and the rest is history!
- Gel formula, melts into the skin and doesn't feel like a thick layer
- Mattifying and fills in my ginormous pores
- Really extends the staying power of my eyeshadow (yes, I also used it as an eyeshadow primer) and my foundation
- A bit expensive for a primer
- Has a tendency to pill if too much product is used or if skin isn't properly exfoliated or cleanse
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup in Bronze 5W1 ($42)
This foundation has been recommended by beauty bloggers and gurus for ages and I'm a bit surprised that it took me so long to give it a try. I had already grown very attached to my Fenty Beauty foundation but when Joe told me that a swatch at Sephora looked better that the FB foundation I had on, I decided to give the EL foundation a try.
- Great coverage, a little goes a long way
- Blends perfectly with a damp beauty blender, looks like my skin but better!
- Doesn't move around when other makeup products are applied on top
- Very matte, perfect for my oily skin
- Still looked beautiful at the end of the day albeit a bit shiny (nothing a little powder or a blotting sheet can't fix)
- A bit expensive for a foundation
- No nozzle or dispenser, difficult to get the right amount of product out
- Tends to be a bit patchy around particularly oily areas like my nose and chin (could be my primer's fault)
Too Faced Just Peachy Velvet Matte Eyeshadow Palette ($45)
I have been in love with the whole peachy makeup trend from eyeshadows to lipsticks but I didn't want the shimmer that usually came with some palettes. My dream wedding makeup is a peachy, matte, sun-kissed monochromatic look. So when this matte palette came out, it was instantly on my makeup wishlist.
- Lovely packaging that has a nice, luxurious feel to it and it comes with a mirror!
- Blends beautifully, doesn't take much for shades to show
- Peachy scent is a nice touch, not overwhelming
- Can't think of any! I've used it almost every day since I got it and I've been so happy with it.
Too Faced Peach Kiss Moisture Matte Long Wear Lipstick in Got Peach? ($21)
For my wedding, I was looking a perfect terracotta peachy shade to complete a monochromatic peachy look. Joe and I walked around Sephora and came across the display of Too Faced's Peaches and Cream Collection. We tested a few of the matte lipsticks and found this gem!
- Cute packaging and peach stamp design on the lipstick
- Terracotta peach shade
- Very hydrating and comfortable on the lips
- Very pigmented and applies smoothly (I apply it with a lip brush for a more sheer look)
- Has a tendency to settle into the fine lines of my lips
- Some people might find the peachy vanilla scent of the lipstick a bit overwhelming
- Not very matte at all
- Definitely not kiss-proof or smudge-proof
The Estee Lauder foundation and Too Faced eyeshadow palette are my new favorites! The foundation lived up to all the hype and I've gotten several compliments on how great my skin looks. The eyeshadow is perfect for daily use and is versatile enough to be dressed up for fancier affairs. The Boscia primer works great for me and I particularly like how well it works with the EL foundation. Absolutely a keeper! The Too Faced lipstick is so pretty but I'm not sure it'll be my pick for the big day since it doesn't have the best staying power.
I've been playing around with these products for about week now and it's reminded me of how important investing in quality cosmetics can be. I've been using mostly drugstore products for the past few months and after trying these out, I can definitely see and feel a difference especially for foundation and primer. I can't wait to put a look together for the wedding. ٩(^ᴗ^)۶
What are your favorite Sephora brands and products?